vendredi 3 octobre 2014

Ten Tips for Getting Writing Ideas


The number one question I asked when I tell someone I'm a writer, "Where do you get your ideas?" This has never been a problem for me. Actually, I am opposite problem. I have so many ideas swirling in my head it's hard to focus on one. If you're struggling to find ideas for writing, I have some advice for you.

HOBBIES AND INTERESTS

A good place to start when looking for subjects to write is your own interests. If you are an avid gardener, you may want to write about the gardens. If you enjoy cooking, writing for the food section of the local newspaper or a gourmet magazine. If sports are your thing, you might want to interview athletes for sports magazines.

TRAVEL

Whenever I travel to a new place, I see so many interesting sites. If you like traveling, you can plant an article in a travel magazine before your next trip. You might even get some of your expenses paid for. I also wrote about new plants, animals and scenery that I have seen in my travels.

THE JOURNAL

The first thing I do every morning after pouring a cup of coffee reading the newspaper. You are bound to come up with new ideas each time you read the newspaper. Whether you enjoy reading the first page or section of arts and entertainment, you will find a topic to write about. Take an idea and put a new twist or spin on it.

FAMILY

My family is a great source of inspiration for my writing. If you like to write for children or parents, you get lots of great ideas while watching members of your own family. Even if you do not write parenting articles, you can write a hobby someone in your family has or write about your dog or cat for a magazine company.

PHOTOS and albums

Many times, looking at old photos is a good way to get ideas for your writing. Old memories resurface and remind you of events long forgotten. Maybe you come across a picture of your kids learn to ride a bike or a camping trip you took with your family. There is no end to the possibilities.

TV

When you are finished with your writing for the day, you can relax and watch a little TV. I found that educational stations like Animal Planet, Food Network, the History Channel and always give me ideas for stories and articles. You will not feel so guilty watching TV if it inspires you to write.

DREAMS

I do not know about your dreams, but mine can be a little crazy sometimes. You should start jotting down your dreams as soon as you wake up in the morning. You may find a great plot for a story.

EXERCISE

This always works for me. When I'm a little tired and ideas simply do not want to come, I'll take a walk or a bike ride. Exercise wakes up my brain and I start to think clearly again.

REFLECTION

You probably learned this technique in school and used to write compositions. Brainstorming is a very effective way to get ideas for writing. Choose a topic you want to write. Then start brainstorming on this and write every word that comes to mind. For example, if your subject is dogs, you could write leashes, dog food, ball, bone, collar, Frisbee, walking, animals, friends, etc. Keep brainstorming on your topic for ten or fifteen minutes and you should have an idea for a story or article.

Listen to music

You might not be able to write while listening to music, but it is a great way to get ideas. Music often brings memories of your past and help you relax. The next time you're stuck for an idea, turn on the radio for a few minutes.

I hope some of these techniques to find ideas for writing work for you. I know they've always worked for me and I rarely ever run out of ideas for writing. Happy writing!

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More